High volume hiring: 5 tips to get it right
Picture this: You’re a recruiter for a large retail company and you’ve just been tasked with filling positions for the latest hiring spree — just in time for the busy holiday season. But instead of filling your normal quota of 30 positions, your team is being asked to fill 100 positions, and you need to do it quickly.
Is your heart beating faster already?
High-volume hiring is a practice recruiting teams are familiar with. It involves hiring numerous open positions in a specific timeframe. On the lower end, recruiters hire 100 new employees for a small to medium-sized company. And on the higher end, recruiters hire thousands of employees for a larger, enterprise company.
The process is often overwhelming and it’s difficult to know where to start. So how should you develop your high-volume recruiting strategy?
Below are your top two strategies to keep in mind.
- Ensure you have the right technology: Recruiting requires focus and if your current tech stack doesn’t work together in one unified platform to build a winning workforce, then you can miss out on top talent and customers, too.
- Enlist talent attraction solutions like dedicated candidate relationship management software and branded career sites. To attract the best talent, at scale, you need the best recruitment marketing tools that allow job seekers to connect with your company for future openings and company news, and AI-driven career sites that surface job matches based on candidate preferences to fill those high-volume, hard-to-fill roles.
- Look for robust applicant tracking software that offers best-in-class hosting, scalability, speed, and availability. With the right ATS, you can properly vet candidates with an application process that’s set up to manage the high volume of applicants that you’re expecting.
- Don’t miss out on great hires with a slow, error-riddled offer process. Offer management solutions help automate your high-volume hiring process so you can extend your stellar candidate experience with compliant offer letters delivered quickly.
- Simplify onboarding for new hires, recruiters, and managers with automated processes that maximize engagement. When you hire at scale, you need to make sure you don’t miss a beat. Leveraging onboarding to get digital paperwork completed and new hire tasks checked off prior to day one will keep you on track.
- Stay connected to candidates and employees in the apps they’re in every day. Text messaging and apps like WhatsApp allow you to modernize, streamline, and accelerate your communication at scale—keeping everyone in the know.
- Give job seekers what they need: Check that your current technology is the best platform to suit your needs. Is your career site and application process mobile-optimized? How long is your application? Organizations can cut sourcing costs by 250 % simply by reducing the time it takes to complete a mobile application from 15 to five minutes. If you’re asking your candidates to spend an hour on an application, you’re asking too much, and candidates are going to drop off.
This is especially important when it comes to industries such as retail, healthcare, and manufacturing.
- Retail high-volume hiring tips: To meet workforce demands in retail, you’ve got to manage seasonal hiring spikes, reduce employee churn, and streamline the hiring process to speed up time to fill.You can accomplish this by automating your hiring strategy with automated job posting, career sites, text-to-apply features, and a powerful CRM.
- Healthcare high-volume hiring tips: Healthcare recruiting presents unique challenges – you’ve got to balance high-volume hiring and high turnover with the need for specialized workers. You can accomplish this by automating your hiring strategy with career sites, AI and ML, CRM, and leveraging a marketplace of solutions to complete your tech stack.
- Manufacturing high-volume hiring tips: Recruiting in manufacturing means refocusing constantly. You may need specialized workers today, but an aging workforce drives the need to grow your entire talent pipeline for tomorrow. You can accomplish this by automating your hiring strategy with career sites, AI and ML, CRM, and a marketplace of trusted solutions.
Five key takeaways: The key to accelerating the hiring process lies in your ability to:
- Attract the right talent to the right jobs, at scale, with recruitment marketing solutions
- Increase your recruiting team’s efficiency with automated applicant tracking workflows that fill jobs faster
- Engage multigenerational talent anywhere and eliminate the constraints of live events with chat-based virtual career fairs and text engagement
- Leverage turnkey integrations that speed up background screenings and reference checks
- Streamline the onboarding process and get new employees up and running fast with a new hire portal that collects electronic paperwork, provides helpful info, and more
Hiring en masse demands a strategic, intuitive process. Learn more about high-volume hiring in 5 Ways to Transform Your High Volume Hiring.
Sign up for thought leadership emails
About the Author
With a passion for life-long learning, Danielle McClow got her start in higher education before joining iCIMS as a Content Writer. She holds an advanced degree in classic rhetoric and when not writing she wishes to pet all the dogs.